The kanban board has been added as a feature to
TFS 2012 Update 2 which is
available for download as a preview. The feature provides all the same functionality that was provided by this CodePlex project, including several additional advantages:
- The kanban board will work with any process template: Scrum, MSF Agile, MSF CMMI, as well as customized versions.
- The board columns are customizable per team. Each team can have its own set of columns.
- The kanban board is interactive. You can drag/drop items between columns.
This CodePlex project provides a solution for customers who are on TFS 2010 installations, however, we do not provide an upgrade path from projects using this solution to the feature provided in TFS 2012 Update 2. Your work items will be upgraded, but you
will need to reconfigure your board, and drag the work items to the appropriate column again.
The Practical Kanban Guidance offers teams that are new to Kanban and teams that are using a manual, paper-based Kanban board, guidance and tool support for Kanban in Team Foundation Server 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2012.
The guidance also describes how Team Foundation Server can capture metrics and other information that can be used to track and continuously improve a team’s software delivery process.
Bookmark the Visual Studio ALM Rangers
blog, using tag
Kanban, for the latest information on this project.
Visual Studio ALM Rangers
This guidance is created by the Visual Studio ALM Rangers, who have the mission to provide out of band solutions for missing features and/or guidance. This content was created with support from Microsoft Product Group, members of Microsoft Services, Microsoft
Most Valued Professionals (MVPs) and technical specialists from technology communities around the globe, giving you a real-world view from the field, where the technology has been tested and used.
What is included in the downloads?
The solution is divided in separate packages to give you the choice of selective downloads. The default download is the first of the listed packages:
- Guidance contains scenario based practical guidance, frequently asked questions and quick reference posters
- Process Templates contains Team Foundation Server (TFS 2010 and Dev11) Kanban process templates
- Global List Updater Source Code contains a Team Foundation Server global list synchroniser plugin
- Hands-on Lab contains the HOL that provides a walkthrough of the planning, based on the guidance
Planned for RTM release:
- HOL Package includes a setup part which prepares and configures your environment for this lab
- HOL Videos which showcase the hands-on labs and guidance in quick 5-10min videos
Epics included in the guidance are:
- Understand what Kanban is and how to use it
- Create a new project using the Kanban Process Template accelerator
- Enhance an existing project to use Kanban
- Manage and track your Kanban project
Adam Gilmore, Alexander Vanwynsberghe , Gregg Boer, Jahangeer Mohammed, Ognjen Bajic, Richard Fennell, Rob Jarratt, Rob Maher, Thomas Schissler, Stephen Godbold
How to submit new ideas?
The recommended method is to post ideas to the
Discussions Page or to contact the Rangers at
Post comments on the