Global Lists -- Global to Collection or Unique to Team Project?

May 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

When creating a new team project based on the Kanban template, global lists are created for the Kanban States and Kanban Card Types that are used by the Card work item type.  Are these lists global to the collection that the team project is in?  Or are they uniquey to a given team project?

If I create a second team project based on the template, do the two projects have to use and share these lists?  What if the second project wants to use different states or card types?  My understanding is that the Global List Updater will create a unique list for the states based on the Process Step work items that are created or updated within a given project.  Is this true?  If it is true, what about the card types?

Dave F.

May 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Edited May 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Q: Are the lists global to a collection?
A: In general Global Lists are global to a Team Project Collection. But the GlobalListUpdaterPlugin which comes with this project creates a Global List for each Team Project which uses the Process Step Work Item Type to store the kanban state meta data.

Q: Do two team projects share the global lists?
A: No, the GlobalListUpdater component automatically creates a global list for Process Steps that are unique to each team project. This allows each project to have a unique set of Process Steps (e.g. your development process) and changes to one project do not influence others. We currently share Global Lists for other values (Card Types) but you can easily change the Work Item Type Definition to use unique lists.

May 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  Might I suggest that card types fall into the same category as process steps?  Different projects in the same team project collection could very well (and probably will) want different card types just like they will want different process steps.  So, it stands to reason that there should be a Card Type work item that the GlobalListUpdaterPlugin then turns into a global list for that project...

May 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I think this is a great Suggestion and we will put this definitively to our backlog to implement it in an upcomming release.