This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

GlobalListUpdaterPlugin doesn't work and nothing in the event log

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Hi there,

We've followed the guide about the GlobalListUpdaterPlugin installation without success.

The plugin has been compiled and deployed in the [<System Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Services\bin\Plugins] folder.

Even when a process step's title is changed, the global list does not reflect those changes.

So we look into the event log for more information, but nothing there about the GlobalListUpdater.

Anyone has an idea how we could diagnose our problem?

Thanks a lot

Phil

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Please check that the account under which the TFS web service is running has admin permissions to your team project collection.

Regards

Rob

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

It is.  To no avail.

Still looking

Thanks Rob

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Is there anything in the Windows Event Log. If not, any chance you could attach the debugger and try to see what is happening?

Regards

Rob

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Edited Nov 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM

If there is no entry in the Event Log at all you should check if the DLLs for the plugin are copied to the correct folder.

If you have Event Log entries it would be helpful if you can share them.

Just to explain the background a little bit. The GlobalListUpdater is updating values in a global list on your TFS to represent the Process Step work items. So if you Change the Process Step work items there should be a change in the global list. The Kanban State field on the Card work item is bound to this global list and therefore should reflect the changes as well. There is one global list for each Team Project.

Can you check which global lists you have and if they reflect your changes. If yes, make sure the Card work item type of your Project has bound the Kanban State field to the correct global list.

Let me know if you have any Feedback on this so we can dig deeper into the issue.

Thomas

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

There's nothing in the event log.

The GlobalListUpdaterPlugin is in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Services\bin\Plugins

And when I put this new plugin, there's an event log about "TFS services" restarting because BinDirChangeOrDirectoryRename.

So I'm pretty sure I'm on the right plugin's directory.

The Global list named "Kanban States" has been successfully created in the team project with the default values (Analyze, Test, Implement and Review).

But whenever we change the title or add a new process step, this global list remains unchanged.

The Process step field is defined with this xml for a Card:

<FieldDefinition reportable="dimension" refname="Microsoft.VSTS.Kanban.ProcessStep" name="Kanban Process Step" type="String">
  <WHEN field="System.State" value="Backlog">
    <ALLOWEDVALUES>
      <LISTITEM value="Backlog" />
    </ALLOWEDVALUES>
    <COPY from="value" value="Backlog" />
  </WHEN>
  <WHEN field="System.State" value="In Progress">
    <ALLOWEDVALUES>
      <GLOBALLIST name="Kanban States" />
    </ALLOWEDVALUES>
    <REQUIRED />
  </WHEN>
  <WHEN field="System.State" value="Complete">
    <ALLOWEDVALUES>
      <LISTITEM value="Complete" />
    </ALLOWEDVALUES>
    <COPY from="value" value="Complete" />
  </WHEN>
  <WHEN field="System.State" value="Removed">
    <EMPTY />
  </WHEN>
  <HELPTEXT>The state of this item as presented on the Kanban Board</HELPTEXT>
</FieldDefinition>

That's all I got for now.

We will try to setup some remote debugger on the server, but it might take a while.

Thanks

Phil

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

We found the problem and added an issue about the problem and solution.

http://vsarkanbanguide.codeplex.com/workitem/18977

Thanks

Phil