Custom template (like your Kanban one) + future VS/TFS updates / Future of the Kanban template

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Is there a general advice/guidance on how a completely custom template like your Kanban template is working together with future VS/TFS upgrades like the upcoming Update2.

As there is a lot customized I don't think such a template will benefit from future upgrades. Or does it?

The second question is about the future of this custom Kanban template. Is this going to be maintained/extended in the future or is it more likely that more and more functionality is going to be put into the product?

Thank you very much, kind regards, Rene
Mar 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM
The solution provided in this codeplex product does not have an upgrade path to the feature provided in Update 2.

If you are already using the Kanban Template, you are able to use the new Kanban Feature in Update 2 with that template. You will need to reconfigure all your kanban columns and move the work items into the correct column again, however.

The Kanban Feature in Update 2 does allow you to create a Kanban board with any process template, including customized ones.

On the future of this codeplex project, it will not be updated going forward. We will be putting our efforts into the built-in Kanban Feature.
This project does have value for customers who have not yet upgraded to 2012, however.

Thanks
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Hi, thank you very much for the update!

I thought it was going into this direction.
Currently I am consulting a company which is about to move to TFS2012 and they want to use Kanban as their dev. process. So now I am sure they should stick with the basic templates (in their case Scrum) and use the existing Kanban features.
Mar 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Is there a solution for people with MSDN Pro.? The Kanban support in Update 2 doesn't support MSDN Pro.
Mar 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM
The Product Backlog management features, and the associated Kanban board are available in Test Pro and above.