This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Project Portal shows an error on Dashboard Reports

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I am sure I am just missing something in the documentation or something even simpler.
I have completed setting up the Global List Updater and I have imported the process template. When I create a new project using the template I receive an error when running the Burndown and Burndown rate reports. The error is:

"An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Query execution failed for dataset 'dsDefaultIteration'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand) Invalid column name 'StartDate'. Invalid column name 'FinishDate'. Invalid column name 'StartDate'. Invalid column name 'FinishDate'."

I also checked the Report and it is refering to DimIteration table which indeed is missing the specified two columns. Please help

I am using Windows Server 2008 R2, MS SQL 2008 Enterprise with SP3, TFS 2010 with SP1, Team Explorer with SP1 and Visual Studio 2010 with SP1.

If you have any questions, please contact me
Oct 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Seems like the fields may not have had their warehouse settings set up correctly. Can you check this? Also can you check that you uploaded the Dev 10 version of the process template and not the Dev 11 one?

Regards

Rob
Oct 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Hello,

first of all thank you for your response. How can I check that the warehouse settings are correct?
I checked and I have only uploaded the Dev 10, as I downloaded it, I immediately deleted Dev 11 exactly for this reason that I don't switch them by accident.
Oct 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Can you tell me how to configure the warehouse setting correctly?
Oct 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM
You need the Process Editor which is part of TFS Power Tools (it will appear in the Tools menu). I am not in a location where I can easily verify the steps for you right now but roughly you need to open the Work Item Type definition for Card and look at the properties of the fields that are not working, what is the "Reportable" field value set to? If I remember correctly these should be set to Dimension (but I am not entirely sure right now).

Regards

Rob
Oct 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Hi, I checked the Field Definition and the Reportable value is "Dimension" for both columns that are in the error message.

What I think the problem might be, is that the columns StartDate and FinishDate do not appear in the dbo.DimIteration table as I can see in Tfs_Warehouse database. I found the BurnRate report that is used in the Dashboard and I see that it is trying to use th two columns. Can you explain why the columns are not present? Maybe the Template of Kanban is wrong or did I implement it incorrectly?
Oct 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM
The template should be OK because it has been used by others, and it is hard to see how you could have implemented it incorrectly. I am not sure what to suggest at the moment and I am asking internally if anyone has any ideas.

Have you considered using TFS 2012 and the built-in support for Kanban boards? See this project's home page.

Thanks

Rob
Oct 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Unfortunately, we already have deployed TFS 2010 and are already using Scrum, CMMI and Agile templates, so currently upgrade to TFS 2012 is not an option for us.
However any advice would be most apreciated.

Note: I also ran Best Practices Analyzer which is a part of the Power Tools for TFS but with no luck, it didn't find any issue in the warehouse.
Oct 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I also deployed the KanBan template on our old TFS 2010 and it has the same issue as I wrote above.
So I don't think that it is problem on the server.
Oct 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Hi tadeasbucha,

do you use a localized Version of TFS? We tested the Kanban template only with the English Version.

Thomas
Oct 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Hello, thank you for your response.

No I used standard English version, no customization.
Oct 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Have you tried rebuilding the warehouse?

You can find out about this process here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668753(v=vs.100).aspx

Regards

Rob
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I followed the guide step by step, but unfortunately that didn't help either.